Metal braces have been the trusted way of straightening teeth for years, no matter the patient’s age. But over the years, a new way of straightening teeth has developed: clear aligners! Clear aligners are transparent, “invisible” plastic trays that straighten the teeth over a period of time. At Mack Orthodontics, we are proud providers of Invisalign for Teens!
Braces still have their uses and benefits, but clear aligners have taken the orthodontic world by storm — and for good reason! Let’s explore some of the benefits clear aligners have for your child.
Invisalign trays are custom-made for every individual with high-tech devices to make the process comfortable and accurate.
First, we will take X-rays and digital scans of your teen’s mouth so Dr. Mack can have a detailed and comprehensive look at their teeth, gums, and jaw alignment. Because digital mapping is much more accurate than a traditional mold, Dr. Mack can spot potential problems before treatment begins and adjust your care plan as necessary! Fewer complications mean a more pleasant experience for your teen.
Next, Dr. Mack will use these images to create a 3D scan of your child’s mouth. This 3D model allows Dr. Mack to plan your teen’s orthodontic journey visually and even show you and your teen the predicted final result of their treatment. Seeing what they’re working towards is a great motivator for your teen to wear their aligners!
Then, your teen’s first set of trays will be made as prescribed by Dr. Mack. Each tray will be worn for one to two weeks before they move to the next one in the set. The trays are perfect for on-the-go families because you get a series of trays in advance, so your teen can switch to the next tray from home! They also eliminate the need for emergency orthodontic care resulting in broken brackets or wires.
While it is crucial for the patient to wear their clear aligners for roughly twenty to twenty-two hours per day, the ability to remove them has many advantages for your teen!
- No food restrictions! – Clear aligners must be removed to eat or drink anything other than water, so your teen can stick to their regular diet! They can eat and drink all the crunchy, sticky, sugary, and tough snacks without worrying about damaging their aligner (though they might need to worry about their teeth)!
- No new hygiene routine! – Your teen does not need to learn a new oral hygiene routine or keep up with new cleaning tools. They simply need to remove the trays to brush and floss like normal!
- Perfect for extracurriculars! – The trays can be removed for choir, band, or sports practice if necessary! Your teen can remove from for other special occasions, such as yearbook picture day.
Upkeep of your Invisalign for Teens trays is easy, and your teen can do it when they brush and floss twice a day! It is important to clean them because unclean aligners can result in visible trays, cause bad breath, and become a farm for harmful bacteria that can spread to the rest of the mouth.
- Use toothpaste on your aligners. It can damage the plastic’s surface, making them uncomfortable to wear and more visible to others.
- Forget to rinse your mouth with water after eating and drinking. Water helps flush the mouth of any residue that can stick to your aligners.
- Forget to wash your hands and fingernails before handling your aligners. Your hands can have germs and bacteria that can spread to your aligners.
- Use really hot or really cold water. This can warp the plastic of the aligner.
- Place aligners in a protective case when not actively wearing or cleaning them.
- Run the aligners under lukewarm water and gently brush them with a separate toothbrush from the one you use for your teeth. You should use a tiny amount of antibacterial soap or a 1:1 ratio of white vinegar and water. Once done, allow them to dry completely before putting them in the mouth.
- If your teen’s aligners need a deeper clean, they can use Invisalign Cleaning Crystals.
- Before using any product on your aligners, ask Dr. Mack if it is safe for them!
While we at Mack Orthodontics believe there should not be any shame or embarrassment in your orthodontic game, we also understand that some patients want a more natural look. A discreet look can make a massive difference in confidence, no matter the patient’s age! No matter what orthodontic treatment you and your teen choose, we will encourage them every step of the way!
Clear aligners are perfect if your child wants to straighten their teeth without altering their appearance in the meantime. Invisalign for Teen’s subtle look and snug fit makes them practically invisible; hardly anyone will notice your teen is in treatment! While wearing clear aligners, your teen is likely to smile and participate in their regular activities just the same as they did before starting treatment.
The Invisalign for Teens Difference.
Besides their size, Invisalign for Teens has some key differences from Invisalign for adults. These changes make them perfect for teenagers and their families to ensure they finish treatment on time.
- Compliance Dot – Invisalign for Teens trays come with a small blue dot on the back of the tray that turns white or clear over time. The color is changed by saliva in the mouth, so you can be confident your teen is wearing their aligners.
- Replacement Trays – Teens can be hard on their belongings, and their busy schedules might make it easy for them to lose their trays. Invisalign for Teens offers a limited number of replacement trays for lost or damaged aligners. While we still encourage our patients to take care of their aligners, knowing a replacement is possible with minimal inconvenience is one less thing for you to worry about. Dr. Mack can make adjustments to your teen’s treatment plan if necessary.
- Eruption Tabs – If your teen is waiting on all their adult teeth before they start their Invisalign treatment, they don’t have to! Invisalign for Teens now offers eruption tabs, which allow spaces for your teen’s adult teeth to continue to “erupt” or grow without disrupting or preventing treatment.
Visit us at Mack Orthodontics for all your Invisalign needs!
Want to find out if you or your teen are a candidate for Invisalign? Our experienced team at Mack Orthodontics can educate you on all the orthodontic options available to you. Informed care starts with quality information.
Call or visit us today to schedule a free consultation that can be held virtually or at either of our convenient locations! We look forward to assisting you and your family in achieving the smile of your dreams.